12 Essential Autumn Style Tips
You may be feeling like you've only just hit your stride with dressing for summer, but with autumn just around the corner, it's time to start thinking about dressing for colder weather. Transitioning your wardrobe from summer to autumn mode is all about incorporating additional layers to your look and being able to adapt outfits for unexpectedly warm afternoons or chilly evenings, without feeling uncomfortable or compromising your personal style.
Now is the perfect time to have a wardrobe changeover, style your existing pieces or potentially make some strategic purchases to allow you to create a capsule wardrobe that is autumn weather ready.
Ivy's Autumn Wardrobe Inspiration
1. Don't Pack Away Your Summer Vests! - They will be perfect for layering with warm tops and tees in your autumn capsule wardrobe. Our Peggy vest is available in striped and plain colourways and is super comfy, which makes her a great first layer in those multi-layered autumn outfits. Pair her with a classic pair of jeans and a chunky knit cardigan for a cosy, casual look or wear her with tailored trousers, heeled boots and a smart jacket or under a shirt for a more formal vibe.
2. Embrace the Breton (as if you don't already) - Bretons look great worn with shorts and summer skirts during warmer months, but this classic style will be at the heart of your cosy, comfortable, effortlessly chic autumn wardrobe too. Wear your favourite Breton tee with dungarees and a warm scarf as you transition to autumn, or elevate your stripes with a smart, statement jacket. If you have a lightweight Breton t-shirt or vest and want a warmer Breton layer in your wardrobe, in preparation for colder weather ahead, take a look at our double jersey styles, Arabella, Nora and Nancy.
4. Dress for Autumn - If summer sundresses have made you fall in love with their femininity and the freedom of movement they offer, transition some of those same dresses into autumn fashion essentials. The Ivy Betsy dress looks great worn with thick tights, a leather jacket and biker boots or ankle boots in autumn, and there are probably a few other summer dresses in your wardrobe that you could transition to autumn in this way too. For extra warmth when needed, layer Nora over the top.
5. Celebrate the Season in a Satin Slip Skirt - If you love jewel-like autumnal colours as much as we do, you'll be looking forward to incorporating them in your autumn capsule wardrobe. Those vibrant purples, deep reds and rich greens and browns work well in satin fabrics.
A satin statement skirt really showcases autumn's bold colours and can be dressed up with heels, and statement accessories, or dressed down with boots or high tops and your favourite casual tee and cosy knitwear. Take a look at our Maya tee and our new sweatshirt, Nancy, which will be the perfect partners for a casual look in a satin slip skirt.
6. Cardigans for Confidence - Throw on a cardigan over slimmer fits for an instant boost in confidence. A baggy layer under a cardigan has a tendency to look a bit frumpy, so opt for a semi-fitted base layer such as our Audrey or Layla t's. These organic cotton, soft base layer t's will be your go-to's for adding warmth in the colder months. Top Tip - Pay attention to the fit of your cardigan sleeves. Too much excess material adds unnecessary bulk and impossible to wear a coat or jacket over, and tight-fitting sleeves are often uncomfortable and make it really tricky to layer over anything other than a vest.
7. Layer Up Your Classic White Shirt - Nothing says 'Smart Professional' like a white shirt, but many autumn days are too cold for just a shirt and trousers combo. Layer up with a tank top on those in-between days, or go for a long sleeve, heavier-weight top (such as Arabella, Nora or Nancy) for proper sweater weather. Finish your look with smart black jeans or tailored trousers. If it's really chilly, you can throw on a classic trench coat or that trusty black blazer for warmth.
10. Fall Back in Love with Your Favourite Jeans - Autumn is the perfect time to rediscover all your denim. From your trusty denim jacket to your best blue jeans, the chill in the air can be dispelled by those heavier-weight wardrobe staples you have probably spent the whole summer avoiding.
11. Get the Boot In - Your transitional wardrobe cannot function with ballet flats and canvas shoes alone! Get your favourite boots out of storage and use them to accessorise some of those summer wardrobe essentials to give them an autumnal vibe instead. A great pair of ankle boots should be in everyone's closet for autumn. They will go with so many outfits and keep your feet warm and dry when the temperature drops and the rain sets in. Team with colourful and cosy sustainable socks.
12. Switch Up Your Accessories - Dig out your hats an scarves, dust off those cute wrist warmers and elevate your everyday looks with some gold jewellery. One of the best things about transitional wardrobes is the novelty of rediscovering accessories that you haven't needed in months and combining them with year-round core staples to create season-appropriate outfits that feel fresh and different, but also feel 100% like your style.
We hope you have enjoyed these autumn fashion tips and that you are now full of autumn outfit inspiration to help you look and feel amazing. Thinking of new and exciting ways to wear your clothes is one of life's little pleasures, boosting your mood and helping to put you in the right frame of mind to get out and enjoy this beautiful time of the year.
We would love to see you embracing those autumn vibes in your Ivy tees, so do tag us (@ivy_thebrand) in those Instagram pics of you in your favourite styles, skipping through fallen leaves, enjoying the fireworks, carving your pumpkins and sipping a spiced latte.